Man killed in Omaha Police officer-involved shooting

New details after a man was shot and killed in an officer-involved shooting
New details after a man was shot and killed in an officer-involved shooting
Published: Oct. 30, 2022 at 10:50 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - A 23-year-old man is dead after an overnight officer-involved shooting.

According to the Omaha Police Department, it happened around 3 a.m. Sunday when Omaha Police officers responded to a shots fired call near 30th and Marcy Street.

When officers arrived they found a man in a parked SUV.

The man was sitting in the driver seat, he has since been identified by Omaha Police as 23-year-old Jeramyah Wilson.

Omaha Police says a responding officer walked up to the SUV and saw a gun in Wilson’s hand.

Police say the officers then took cover and gave several verbal commands over the course of six minutes for Wilson to drop the gun. OPD also says officers tried to offer assistance to Wilson in an attempt to de-escalate the situation.

Wilson allegedly threatened the officers multiple times during the incident and refused to put the gun down.

Another witness officer says Wilson was talking to the officers through the driver’s side window when he allegedly made a quick movement toward the passenger side. An officer behind cover was in that direction.

Two officers then used their guns, including the officer near the passenger side of the SUV. Wilson was shot during the incident.

The man was taken to UNMC with CPR in progress by Omaha Fire Department medics.

Wilson later died at the hospital.

Jeramyah Wilson, 23
Jeramyah Wilson, 23(Omaha Police Department)

Omaha Police later said the location was safe, but they asked the public to avoid the area during the investigation.

A firearm was then allegedly found by police in the driver’s side floorboard of the SUV Wilson was in. Wilson was the only person in the SUV.

Police say Wilson has a history of weapon-related charges.

Investigators spoke briefly about a possible motive during a Sunday afternoon news conference.

“There’s a little bit of history with this individual in the past,” said Lt. Neal Bonacci, a Public Information Officer with Omaha Police. “A similar situation that he’s talked about. Not necessarily being in that situation, but talking about suicidal ideation of officers being involved in that.”

Omaha Police says the incident was recorded on body cameras. OPD says all audio can be heard in the footage, but the cameras were partially obstructed because officers were behind cover.

No officers were injured during the incident.

The two officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave. The names of the two officers have not been released. OPD says the two will be interviewed in the coming days.

The investigation is still ongoing. The Nebraska State Patrol and the Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office are also assisting in the investigation.

According to authorities, this is the second officer-involved shooting this year in Omaha. Another incident in late August saw a man shot and killed by Omaha Police when he answered his door holding a semi-automatic shotgun and allegedly aimed it at officers.

This is a developing story. Stay with 6 News for updates.