Scottsbluff standoff ends with tear gas, man in custody

Published: Aug. 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: Sheriff Overman says 65 year old Daniel Converse has been taken into custody and will be charged with two counts of terroristic threats.

Fire crews have been asked to move in closer for decontamination. Authorities say they used tear gas to remove him from his home and the scene is clear. The 65 year old is currently going through medical evaluation and based on what that find they will decide where he will be taken.

Friends and family say that he had a live grenade. Authorities were given a warrant to search his home and say that's what the next step will be.

ORIGINAL STORY: A man in his mid-60's is holding law enforcement authorities at bay in a standoff situation just west of Scottsbluff.

According to Scotts Bluff County Sheriff Mark Overman, negotiations are taking place at a house on County Road 19 north of the Sportsman Inn along Highway 26. Overman says a family member called authorities Saturday morning, expressing concerns about the man who had apparently made threats to himself and said he was dealing with "emotional things".

Shana Barbour-Emerick, who lives just north of the standoff scene, tells NBC Nebraska she and her husband left their home around 8:00 a.m. to go to town, and at that time only one Sheriff's unit was on scene. When they returned from Scottsbluff a short while later, several law enforcement units had arrived and they were advised of the situation, and by 9:15 a.m. roadblocks had been set up to control access to the area.

Overman says to the best of their knowledge, the man, who they've been told is a veteran, is by himself and while authorities don't know if there are any firearms in the house, there is the possibility of explosives in the house but that had yet to be confirmed.

The local SWAT team is on hand, as well as other officers from the Sheriff's Office, Scottsbluff and Gering Police Departments, Nebraska State Patrol and various Fire Departments. A bomb robot and K-9 units are also on the scene.

Overman says talks are taking place over the phone, no one has attempted to enter the house and no one has been harmed. Overman says the considerable number of assets called in to the scene are meant for an abundance of caution to resolve the situation as peacefully and quickly as possible.

The north wing of the Sportsman Inn was evacuated as a precaution.

Latest News

Latest News